Gotcha! There isn’t one.
But we can help you find the BEST sunscreen FOR YOU could if you don’t have one already, and give you some recommendations! Here are our tips for figuring out if a sunscreen is be the one for you 😉
The best sunscreen has adequate protection for your needs.
The SPF 15 that your foundation claims it has is not enough! For daily use, you need at least SPF 30 if you aren’t going to be directly under the sun, but SPF 50 is recommended. Incomplete protection is better than no protection at all, but of course, it’s better to have enough protection in the first place!
In addition to the SPF rating, the sunscreen you use should also be broad spectrum, meaning it protects you from more than one type of UV radiation. The measurement for this is PA with ‘+’ denoting how much extra protection you’re getting. You should aim for at least PA+ to make sure you are not only protected against UVB (burning) rays, but also those pesky UVA rays that cause aging, hyperpigmentation, and potentially even cancer.
You deserve the best! Don’t settle for something that doesn’t give you enough protection.
The best sunscreen has a texture and consistency that is pleasant and suits your skin type.
In order to get a sunscreen’s advertised protection rating, you need to apply the correct amount. This may surprise you, but the recommended amount is 1/4 of a teaspoon of sunscreen for your face daily! Our rule for application (if you don’t have a measuring spoon on hand 😄) is to liberally apply a line of product on 2-3 fingers to cover your face and neck.
Considering you need to apply this much sunscreen daily, your sunscreen of choice should be one that is cosmetically elegant and agrees with your skin type. If you are prone to acne or irritation, then it should be a sunscreen that doesn’t clog your pores or negatively affect your skin. If you have oily skin, then a sunscreen that isn’t too rich would be for the best. If you have a dryer skin type, a product that keeps you hydrated throughout the day and doesn’t cling onto dry patches and make them appear more visible is recommended.
Other considerations include whether or not it has a white cast (a flaw some mineral sunscreens tend to have), or if it reacts with other products you regularly apply on your face. If a sunscreen pills over top your morning skincare routine, or if it breaks down the makeup you apply every day, then you should look for an alternative that works better with what you already use and love.
Remember that if there’s anything about the sunscreen that makes you hesitate the apply the correct amount each morning, it isn’t the one for you!
The best sunscreen is affordable enough for you to purchase regularly.
Sunscreen is a product that you should be using every single day! A standard 50mL tube of sunscreen will last you just about a month if you are applying an adequate amount each morning. Sunscreen is something that you will need to buy on a monthly basis so it shouldn’t be something that you can’t afford regularly.
If, however, there is a sunscreen you really love that is a little out of your budget, it may be good to also just have a more affordable back up so you still have something to use in between purchases.
The wonderful thing about Asian beauty is that you will without a doubt find something on the market that has the qualities listed above! Because Korea, Japan, and other Asian countries have a cultural habit of regularly applying sunscreen, they have put in years and years of research into creating affordable products that are both cosmetically elegant and provide adequate protection.
Don’t know where to start looking? Don’t worry, we’ve got you! 😉
Here are some of our recommendations for your common concerns:
- If you have sensitive or acne-prone skin: The Benton Airy Fit UV Defense Sun Cream and the Purito Daily Go-To Sunscreen both have Centella asiatica extracts that help soothe angry, inflamed skin and minimize breakouts.
- If you have oily or combo-oily skin: The Neogen Dermalogy Day-Light Protection Airy Sunscreen has a delightful texture that truly blends into nothing on your skin. No heaviness at all!
- If you have dry skin: The d’Alba Waterfull Mild sun Cream has a rich, comforting texture that will definitely keep your skin hydrated throughout the day. d’Alba’s signature white truffle extract is also a great antioxidant that helps prevent aging.
- If you like going foundation free: Suntique I’m Tone Up Multi Base has a sheer coverage that just evens out your skin enough to make you look like you naturally have flawless skin!
- If you want a little bit of extra glow: The Thank You Farmer Sun Project Shimmer Sun Essence doesn’t have the highest protection rating, but it looks beautiful under makeup and it can be your go-to for events where you don’t want a white cast but still want to be protected. The shimmering micro-pearls really give you that coveted lit-from-within look.
Feeling adventurous? See all our sunscreens (and after-sun care!) HERE.
We hope this guide has helped you figure out how to find your perfect sunscreen. Always remember that your skin is already beautiful just the way it is, and it deserves to be healthy and protected!
The Peaches&Creme team
This article is the second part of an on-going series on sun protection. Stay tuned for more!